Computer Science is taught at KS4. Computing has an impact on nearly every aspect of the world in which we live. GCSE Computer Science counts as a science option in the EBacc and is considered to be very important by the government.
“In the future everyone will need basic programming skills in a variety of jobs” – Elizabeth Truss MP
Students will learn to program in Python programming language.
From 2016 the course will comprise of 3 strands:
1. Computer Systems
2. Computational Thinking, Algorithms and Programming Trends in computing
3. Programming Project (Controlled Assessment)
The course is assessed through:
Principles of computer systems, computational thinking and trends in computing are examined in the exam..
20% Controlled assessment
Practical programming skills are assessed in the controlled assessment.
· Excellent attendance will be needed as well as the ability to work independently.
· Students are expected to work to their maximum at all times and to meet all deadlines for the work set.
· Take responsibility for their achievement, behaviour and performance.
· Be prepared to attend catch up sessions after school.
· Complete homework each week.
5 lessons over a fortnight and weekly homework tasks (Year 10 & 11)
Students are taught the KS4 OCR Computer Science course using our website www.coopacademyict.co.uk. This enables students to work independently from any location in the Academy or at home.